Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cakes...

I really want to take a cake decorating class. I have been researching when they are offered, but with the amount of time I will be spending out of town, it doesn't make sense for me to start classes until at least July. Until then, my friend Christine and I have started playing around with fondant. 

Here's cake #1.



 Not too bad, right?! Not sure if I would pay for it (sorry, Christine!) but we are improving. I gave the cake to my sister to share with her friends at work, and rumor has it, it was devoured. 

Our second trial was with cupcakes. 


I wanted to make something for my grandma's 90th birthday celebration. The cupcakes were gone very quickly... wish we would have made some more! Fondant on cupcakes is tricky. Especially when your cupcakes are not the same shape and size. Gonna need a lot more practice before I do more cupcakes!

Cake #3. 


A friend of mine asked me to make a cake for a friend's baby shower. She wasn't sure what she wanted for color or decoration, just that she wanted a "girly" cake. This was my first attempt. 

Cake #4. 

I wanted to make one more trial run for the baby shower cake. I also wanted to try for some brighter cake with a bit more "funky" style. This is the style I want to use for the baby shower cake, however, I want to put the baby's name across the top of the flowers and use some polka dots as well. 

I have been using this recipe for the chocolate cake and have  been using a ganache frosting in between the layers of cake to adhere them together. I have been using this buttercream frosting recipe, and it tastes delicious.

I am having so much fun baking cakes, and it has quickly become a hobby. Its a good thing I have lots of people to give cakes too when I am done making them! I definitely don't need them hanging around the house!

0 comments: