Friday, February 20, 2009

Why I haven't Posted...

Its been a while since I have blogged. Why you ask? One word... THESIS. This mother of all projects has been a large part of my life for the past three years and I am happy to say that it has been revised countless times, defended, and submitted to a journal and awaiting their ruthless slaughter of all my heard work and dedication.

Countless hours or hard work, reading, revising, writing, and crying have been poured into this. The weight that has been lifted completing this project...priceless. (Literally, there is no way in hell I am buying the cheesy blue bound book they stick in the library with gold writing... scrapbooking it on the otherhand... thats a thought).

My sweetheart of a husband should have invested stock in kleenex over the past three years. Wait, maybe not in this market, but lets just say I went through a lot. He did invest in these beautiful flowers and a sweet card to say congrats...



When people ask, "what was your thesis about?" I begrudgingly sigh and try to come up with an easy way to summarize everything I have done in as few words as possible. I fail miserably every time. Its not easy to shove 60 pages and three years of work into five words or less that are meaningful to others. The title : Online Aggression and Victimization: Impact on School Involvement and School Satisfaction. What it means- kids have found new ways to be mean, and its terrible for both the kid getting picked on and the jerk doing it. Kids can't get away from being picked on, teased, or berated by their peers- cell phones lay at our nightstands at night, go into the pocket of our favorite sweatshirt or jeans the next day, they even follow us into the bathrooms. Pretty sad. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that dealing with this day in and day out is not good.

Starting grad school, I never thought I would actually enjoy research. I loathed the thought in fact. Life is pointing his finger at me and laughing now... I enjoy research. So much in fact, I am embarking on a statewide study of teachers in Nebraska to see how they feel about "cyberbullying" and what they think should be done to fix it. Lots of work, countless tears already, but it should be pretty sweet.

Next task... landing a job and making money.

I think I can, I think I can.


0 comments: