Thursday, January 1, 2009

Pretzels

I made chocolate pretzels for Christmas this year, and they were a hit; giving my oreo balls a run for their money. My soon to be sister-in-law said she thought peanut butter and caramel would be good with the pretzels, so I decided to experiment.
I started with the caramel ones. The caramel was trickier than I thought. This is probably more because I have never really baked with it before. I recommend using the caramel bits by Kraft... they made melting a lot easier. They recommed using water while melting, but I used butter instead to make the caramel a bit richer in flavor.



Next up was the peanut butter. I used peanut butter chips instead of peanut butter from the jar. I think that I need to actually make the peanut butter a bit thinner to help in dipping the pretzels...any suggestions?

Dipping in the chocolate is pretty easy- I have figured out the perfect consistency (chocolate to almond bark ratio). The caramel pretzels were harder to dip because I didn't spray the wax paper before setting the dipped pretzels down to set. Note to self, thats an important step!!

The pretzels made their debut to a few New Years Eve parties, and seemed to go over well. I am still not sold on the caramel ones... it may take some work to perfect it. Christine suggested marshmallow fluff for the prezels too; that sounds delicious!



0 comments: